** If planning to boot PsychOS from a USB, it is recommended to use MultiBootUSB:
- 1. Download MultiBootUSB from http://multibootusb.org/
- 2. Install to your system of choice; however, only python3-multibootusb_9.2.0-1_all.deb has been tested so far.
- 3. Open MultiBootUSB and under "Select USB Stick" choose the appropriate USB and partition. For example, '/dev/sdc1'.
- 4. Under "Select image" either enter the full path or use "Browse" to find the PsychOS iso file.
- 5. At the bottom, under the "MultiBootUSB" tab, click "Install distro".
- 6. Find a movie to watch because it is probably going to be a while.
- 7. Boot from the USB stick like you normally would and at the first menu that you see, select the option closest to "PsychOS x.x.x".
Not all of the features of MultiBootUSB have been tested with PsychOS.
The resources listed below may or may not be included with any of the distributions listed above. The GNU General Public License (GPL) requires that source code be made available; however, if source code were to be included with every distribution for every GPL-licensed software, there would be much fewer software "out-of-the-box." Many FOSS-loving distributions get around this issue by having both a package.deb and a package-src.deb in their repositories and therefore, I believe the following method is just as compliant.
Also note that not all software listed below are GPL-licensed and therefore may only include a link to a website or binary.
If a piece of software or resource is missing from the list, send an email about it to email@example.com.
- AnimatorAKA - Create FLI animations on DOS. [Source] | [Binary]
- DOS Navigator - A very versatile file manager for DOS. [Source] | [Binary]
- ElectrEm - An Acorn Electron Emulator. [Source] | [Binary]
- FreeBASIC - A free/open source (GPL), BASIC compiler for Microsoft Windows, DOS and Linux. [Source] | [Binary]
- Godot - a free and open-source 2D and 3D game engine. [Source and Binaries]
- JavE - Java-based ASCII art editor with animation and image conversion support. [JAR] | [FIGlet fonts]
- MEGA65's Open ROMs - A project to create unencumbered open-source ROMs for use on selected retro computers. This is used to provide ROMs for VICE's C64 emulation to keep things legal. [Source]
- MicroEmulator - Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) CLDC/MIDP Emulator. [JAR]
- MyNotex - A fantastic note-taking application. [Source] | [Binary]
- !!NetRunner - "...providing the most accurate and highest quality ANSI-BBS experience". [Binary]
- The DOS version of OHRRPGCE (Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine), but is a mixture of hasta-la-qb+ and hspeak.exe from tirgoviste. [Source] | [Binary]
- PaintPro Freeware Version 1997 - ANSI art editor. [Binary]
- PhysMo - an open-source, Java-based (free!) video motion analysis program. [JAR]
- PictView - An image viewer/converter for DOS with a huge range of file format support. [Binary]
- Playscii - An open source ASCII art and animation program. [Source](0.9.14; I tried to get the 0.9.12 version PsychOS 3.4.6 comes with, but it was not available anymore.)
- Poster - View GIF's (non-animated) and convert them to ANSI. [Binary]
- PsychOS Tools - tools that help PsychOS stand-out from most GNU/Linux distributions.
Not a complete list and much of it pertains to PsychOS 3.4.6...
- CLIMax - A TUI (Terminal User Interface) to help those new to the command-line get a feel for it.
- DayMode/NightMode scripts - Use these as an on/off switch to change the screen's gamma to a red tint for night-time use. You're welcome astronomers.
- DictHighlight script - Accessed from bottom left hidden panel to quickly lookup dictionary information on highlighted text.
- image-edit script - use to edit images from the command-line (TTY/console supported).
- img2qb - Easily convert modern image formats to a DATA array for use with QuickBasic and FreeBASIC projects.
- movbg script - Use as 'movbg /path/to/video' to play a video as your desktop wallpaper.
- MusicMode script - same as movbg but accessed from the applications menu and looks at a text file for URL's.
- Notitrans - Accessed from the bottom left hidden panel to translate highlighted text using the Internet.
- qrselect script - Accessed from the bottom left hidden panel to convert highlighted text to a QR Code for use with mobile devices.
- QuickEdit script - A Thunar custom action for quickly editing files such as image size, converting, change last modified date, add/remove metadata, etc.
- RetroGrab - A download manager for older resources based on bookmarks pulled from a Git repository that contain various information. This information may contain links to websites, support pages, videos, downloads, and may or may not have the ability to install a selected resource. However, none of the listed resources are directly hosted on anything own by TheOuterLinux without having the authority to do so, hence "bookmarks." And, most of the listed resources are freeware, shareware, free and open-source, and etc.
- Scholar script - Accessed from the bottom left hidden panel to quickly lookup scholarly resources using Google Scholar based on highlighted text.
- StreamPi - Use this to live stream or locally record your desktop as OBS Studio does not support older hardware.
- Translator script - A TUI (Terminal User Interface) for translating scanned documents (uses tesseract for OCR), having local conversations, and other things.
- WikiHighlight script - Accessed from the bottom left hidden panel to quickly lookup Wikipedia information based on highlighted text.
- QB64 - Develop programs using the QuickBasic 4.5 language with easy to use added functions for modern systems. [Source]
- Reditr - A GPL licensed, GUI frontend for Reddit. [Binary] | [Source]
- Rush - A very well balanced GUI desktop environment for DOS. [Binary] | [Extra icons]
- uTox - Encrypted P2P communitcation featuring talk (audio and/or video as webcam or desktop), text, and file sharing with no sign-ups. [Binary] | [Source]
- VisualBoy Advance - Gameboy Advance emulator (C++ to C version). [Source]
- !!XnConvert - Easily batch convert/edit image files. [Binary]
- !!XnSketch - Turn your photos into cartoons or sketches. [Binary]
** Software listed with "!!" at the beginning are not included with any of the listed distributions; however, those distributions may or may not have an installer that can be accessed from a menu or command-line for the software. This is because of missing information in regards to that software's redistribution and it is safer to not assume.
++ "Manually Installed" refers to software added by means other than normal package management such as compiling from source or adding already pre-compiled binaries like EXE's for DOS software and other emulated operating systems.
For more information on licenses please visit: